My training with the Fleet Feet No Boundaries group ended this past Saturday, the 12 weeks just flew by. Our final run together was the Sunrise 5K/10K we also had a graduation party later that evening.
My graduation gift. Who doesn’t like runner swag?
It was very hot and humid, but I still enjoyed the run because I had my teammates there for support.
Loved the shirts we got, I needed a tech tank top.
The course was very beautiful and pretty shady.
The hydration stations saved the day.
After the race we walked around and talked
And of course we refueled.
Before I trained with the No Boundaries group I knew I wanted to get back into running but was unsure how. I tried to run with a friend, but that got difficult to coordinate so we stopped. I tried running with my dog, but she stops too much. I realized that if I was serious about running again I needed to join a training group. Every running store offers some sort of group training, I chose Fleet Feet because I can walk to the store from my house. I wanted something that was close to home so that I could easily commit to it. It turned out to be a good choice for me.
Here is why I liked the No Boundaries program:
- The group was for all levels- Within the No Boundaries group there was a walking group, a walk/run group, a beginner running group, intermediate running group and an advanced running group. That meant that anybody could truly join the group and find a spot that they would be comfortable in. If you felt like the group you were walking or running with was too slow or too fast you could move up or down based on your needs. I loved this aspect of it. I started out with the No Boundaries 1 group and found it too slow and moved to the No Boundaries 2 group.
- Support- The mentors were fantastic and very supportive. We ran in the heat and sometimes it was difficult to breathe. The mentors had a way of encouraging us to push ourselves without putting us in danger of overheating. They got to know us pretty well over the course of the program and knew when we needed a bit of encouragement and they always gave it to us. It is also nice running with other people who are at different levels. The faster runners inspired me to push myself and I found myself wanting to encourage the slower runners.
- Hydration Stations- Fleet Feet had hydration stations set up for all of our runs. It was nice not to have to worry about bringing my water for every session. They also gave us Nuun, a hydration drink with electrolytes, after all of our runs.
- Different locations for the runs- It can get boring running in the same place week after week. I never felt bored with the runs because the locations changed frequently.
- Tips- Every week we got a newsletter that was filled with running and nutrition tips. How you fuel and hydrate your body is very important when you begin any exercise program so getting the right information is crucial.
- Graduation Run- Running a race as part of our graduation was so much fun. We cheered our fellow teammates on as they crossed the finish line. It was a great incentive to keep up with the training and work hard.
Overall I thought the program was very good. One thing they need to work on improving is the Facebook group. I requested to join the group as soon as I signed up for the program and have still not been added, despite reminding them several times. I have to admit that has bothered me, but not enough to not participate in the program again. Hopefully that will be something that gets corrected before the next session, which begins on September 17. They have expanded the program and added an 8K group which I will join. It will be nice to run in the fall and winter when the weather is cooler. Here is the link if you are interested in joining the group.
Just remember not all runners look like this guy.
We come in all shapes and sizes and we are all at different levels in our fitness journey. Don’t give up. If you have a bad day keep going, we all have bad days. If you want to run and don’t know how to start, find a group to join or just start slowly. You can do it!
Before I go I would like to thank everybody who entered the Witte Museum 4 pack giveaway, we had over 200 entries! Check out our eleven lucky winners here, scroll down to the bottom of the post. Tina G I will be in touch with you later today so that I can get your tickets to you. Congratulations.